Friday, November 30, 2007

People have sex because....?


Have you ever wondered why do people have sex? Sex is a three-letter word that means many things to many people. Both men and women have their own reasons for having sex. I am quite sure that by now, even though you have read only a few lines, you have started to think of a few reasons why people have sex. Society would lead us to believe that men and women are completely different. Therefore, the reasons must be different. However, when it comes to sex, that is not the case.

Cindy Meston and David Buss conducted a study over a five-year period, which found out the main reason for sex. They started by first questioning 444 men and women, ranging from the ages of 17-52 and came up with a list of 237 reasons people have sex. Then they asked 1,549 college students to rank the reasons on how they applied their experience. The results showed that there is no huge difference in the reasons men and women have sex. In fact, both men and women seem to have sex because they were attracted to the person.

Meston stated, “Men were more likely to be opportunistic towards having sex, so if sex were there and available they would jump on it, somewhat more so than women. Women were more likely to have sex because they felt they needed to please their partners.” The results were based on data gathered from college students. Meston believes that there would be a huge difference for the older groups of adults.

To check out the complete list of reasons why men and women have sex click here. There are other lists that are quite interesting as well, so check it out. Below is a list of the top 10 reasons for each gender.

Men
1) I was attracted to the person.
2) I wanted to experience the physical pleasure.
3) It feels good.
4) I wanted to show my affection to the person.
5) I wanted to express my love for the person.
6) I was sexually aroused and wanted the release.
7) I was “horny”.
8) It’s fun.
9) I realized I was in love.
10) I was "in the heat of the moment".

Women
1) I was attracted to the person.
2) It feels good.
3) I wanted to experience the physical pleasure.
4) It’s fun.
5) I wanted to show my affection to the person.
6) I was sexually aroused and wanted the release.
7) I was “horny”.
8) I wanted to express my love for the person.
9) I wanted to achieve an orgasm.
10) I wanted to please my partner.

Thoughts?


Image Credit: http://www.someecards.com

No comments: