Friday, September 21, 2007

XX + XY + 1 Contract = Marriage?





Marriage, what does it really mean? Every single one of us has a different definition of what marriage is, but it’s my blog so you’re only going to get my definition. Marriage, for me, is a process that a couple goes through which eventually creates a contract with unlimited uncertainty. It also is something that society pushes one into doing.

You might be asking yourself “how does society push one into getting married?” Well, if you think about it, when you’re in a relationship for quite sometime, somehow it gets expected. Your friends, siblings, and parents start asking you or your significant other “when are you guys going to get married?”

If you think like I do, then you’re going to agree with me about my next statement. I don’t think that getting married is something we all need to do. I mean honestly, what are the real benefits of signing your life away to another person? I can only think of one reason to get married, and that is (drum roll please) taxes.

Reality is that most marriages in the United States just don’t last. 2006 statistics show that for every 1,000 people there are 7.5 marriages and 3.6 divorces. Those figures might not mean a whole lot but it is something to think about.

Reading the news this morning I came across a piece on Gabriele Pauli. She is a politician in Germany running for a leadership position in her respective party. She spoke today on a new approach to marriage. She suggested that marriage should be a contract that should terminate after seven years. Once the time has expired then the partners can renew their contract or go their separate ways.

I think that is an excellent idea. One thing that I would suggest is that it be five year contracts and not seven; seven years seems to long. Imagine, you’re into the 3rd year of your marriage and you absolutely regret getting married. It’s ok though because just two more years and your home free. (Sigh of relief)

Once your contract is over it basically means no strings attached, nothing. No paying spousal support, nothing. I love that idea. Although I believe that most people around the world will probably shut that idea down. Some will say it devalues the concept of marriage. I think that it will actually give it value. Celebrating 10, 20, 30, or 40 year wedding anniversaries would mean that much more.

Some couples last together for the rest of their lives. Others aren't so lucky with this whole concept of marriage. What is certain though is that marriage is something we all come across. So what does it really mean? Who really knows what marriage is?

Image Credit : http://www.bankruptcyprofessor.com/lrc/images/divorce.jpg

1 comment:

La Professora said...

I see one problem with your proposal: kids. It may be easy to go separate ways when there's no kids in the equation, but not so when you look at the long-term needs of the product(s) of most marriages.

By the by, my S.O. -- a jewelry designer -- recognized the maker of the rings in your photo.